Paradoxplace Home Page

 

BACK IN LINCOLN OCTOBER 2011

 

A new day with the little people of Lincoln Cathedral

 

ORIGINAL EXTERIOR PAGE      NEW PHOTOS FROM 2007

 

ORIGINAL LINCOLN CATHEDRAL INTERIOR PHOTO PAGE    

 

LINK TO CHAPTER HOUSE FRESCO MYSTERY

 

BACK TO WALES, CENTRAL ENGLAND AND EAST ANGLIA

 

 

 

An unexpected weekend window during our visit to the UK in 2011 enabled us to return to Lincoln and wander around at leisure 

 

 

 

A sympathetic red traffic light facilitated this dusk photo of the Cathedral from the South on the drive up to Lincoln on Friday evening

 

 

 

Saturday morning and Team Paradox gets diverted on the way to the Cathedral by large crowds and sizzling sausage smells outside the castle.

 

 

 

Inside, the huge lawn ensures plenty of space for the ANNUAL LINCOLNSHIRE SAUSAGE FESTIVAL

 

 

 

Lincoln Castle was a notorious prison for a long time.  The Victorian chapel designers went to bizarre lengths to prevent any contact between prisoners.

 

 

MAGNA CARTA

 

In the area under the chapel is the Magna Carta Exhibition and Lincoln Magna Carta itself - heavily glass plated and unphotographable, but for some unknown reason more "genuine" looking than its Salisbury cousin.

 

Lincoln Magna Carta - postcard image

 

More about Lincoln Magna Carta

 

A few days after our Lincoln visit, a "new" copy of Magna Carta appeared on the scene - in the archives of the North Kent Cinque Port of Faversham.

 

"Faversham Magna Carta" image from the BBC link above

 

Link to Paradoxplace Magna Carta page

 

 

 

This richly illustrated 50 page book, published in 2014, is much more than the title implies - it is a wonderful tour de force of the movers and shakers of England and Rome (Innocent III, the most powerful of all Medieval Popes) in the high middle ages

 

Purchase from the Lincoln Cathedral Bookshop

 

 

 

Nary a bite of Lincolnshire Poacher Sausage passed our lips before we headed off to the Cathedral, intent on seeing the Lincoln Pilgrim in the sun for the first time.

 

 

 

Our previous visit to Lincoln was accompanied by cloud and rain, so today we were looking forward to seeing the Lincoln Pilgrim in sunshine. 

Sadly however the late autumn sun had already left him in shadow when we arrived.

 

 

 

The Angel trumpeters of the Last Judgement gig are still in foot tapping form in the north transept rose

 

 

 

 

and Adam and Eve get rehab advice on their new careers as digger and spinner after the unfortunate affair with the serpent and apple.

 

 

 

This little mason's head - possibly one of the cathedral's original master masons -  is to be found amongst the pigs and caricatured bishops in the main screen.

 

 

 

Whilst this miscellany have found a refuge near the old shrine in the east end.

 

 

 

Most of the cathedral's c1200s narrative stained glass was destroyed by Ollie Cromwell's men. 

The two east end side windows contain some rescued scenes ... here Theophilus sells his soul to the devil .....

 

 

 

 ..... whilst here Mary gets it back.

 

 

 

In another old panel, Noah holds out his hands in cricket ball catching style to secure his returning dove.

 

 

 

The little Lincoln Imp, seated in a spandrel over a north arch of the eastern shrine area, looks across to the reconstructed visceral tomb of Eleanor of Castile .... 

 

 

 

 

Queen Eleanor of Castile (c1240 - 1290 (50)), died at nearby Harby on 28 November 1290 (over 720 years ago) and her entrails were buried in a so-called visceral tomb in the south east end of the Cathedral, whilst her body undertook the slow journey south to Westminster Abbey.  This subsequently resulted in the building by her grieving King, Edward I, of  the famous stone "Eleanor Crosses" at each of the cortege's overnight stopping points between Lincoln and London.

 

LINK TO PARADOXPLACE PAGE ABOUT ELEANOR CROSSES

 

The visceral tomb in Lincoln was smashed by Ollie Cromwell's men, but the one there now is an exact copy of the original, and the missing gisant (effigy) has been replaced with an (ungilded) copy of its original sister still in Westminster Abbey.  On the side of the tomb are the arms of England, Ponthieu (Eleanor was Countess of Ponthieu, part of the Duchy of Normandy), Leon-Castile (her dad was the first king of both Leon and Castile) and England again. 

 

The original gisants were made by Master William Torel, and 350 gold florins were purchased from the merchants of Lucca for the gilding.

 

 

 

 

Sadly, efforts to unravel the narrative secrets of the South Rose window were thwarted by a unilateral decision by Junior Nikon to reset its white light balance.  Here's a rather grainy version of Saint Nicholas calming a storm at sea - it's easy to locate because the crosier stands out

 

 

 

 

Night view from the Castle car park

 

 

For other Paradoxplace links visit the home page

 

Latest Updates Site Map Travel Services Insight Pages Artists Cathedrals Abbeys France Spain Portugal Britain Italy Venice,  N Italy Tuscany Umbria Rome, Central Italy Sicily, South Italy Book Pages Middle Ages-1350 Renaissance-1600 Map Pages Information

 

All original material Adrian Fletcher 2000-2015 - The contents may not be hotlinked, or reproduced without permission